Thursday, August 7, 2008

I hate you Dish Network.

So I get home from my weekend trip Monday night, after what seemed like 1 million hours in the car. It's late, around 10 p.m. The regularly scheduled evening edition of the Piper Nicole show starts, the cat is going crazy, kids are talking, car needs to be unpacked, which I hate, clothes washed for work the next day, etc. You know the drill.

Well, I make my way into my bedroom to make the bed. Yes, I do it at night before I get in, I don't know. So I get in the bedroom and what do I hear but some whiny, screeching fan sound somewhere around the TV.

I check it out and it's my DVR receiver for my Dish Network. Not good. Panic starts to set in, my fingers start to go numb and my breathing becomes shallow. See, TV is my life.

I turn on the TV, which I can't even hear because the stupid noise the receiver is making is so loud and annoying, but the worst part is this...I press the DVR button to access my recordings and get some weird error message telling me that feature is not available and unplugging and replugging the receiver might or might not reset it. Whatever. With every electronic item I have ever owned when something goes wrong, the advice is always the same, unplug and replug, yet funny thing, it has never worked for me. And of course, it didn't this time either.

So because I am not doing anything at all, like trying to get Piper to settle down, or laundry or even trying to take a bath, I calll Dish Network Tech Support and random girl who answers the phone right off the bat tells me to unplug and plug. Sigh. Well, her luck isn't any better than mine, it doesn't work. More freaking on my part.

Random Tech Girl says they will send me out a new DVR, which I am thinking okay, that's good. But then it got bad. I asked her how long and she says 3 to 5 BUSINESS DAYS. Wait, what? That's forever! I can't watch TV at all and more importantly, I can't watch any of my recorded shows. This is really bad because I HATE HATE HATE Live TV. A lot.

I offer to pay for expedited shipping, preferrably overnight. Nope, can't get it here any faster, 3 to 5 business days it is. Now I ask you, this is the year 2008. We can get a man pregnant, make a car run on some stank oil from McDonalds, clone a damn sheep, but can't get a DVR from Texas to Utah in less than 3 to 5 business days??? My hell, this could take till next week!

My next plan is maybe I can just go to a Dish Network store here in town and give them my old one and get a new one. But no, that isn't how it works either.

But then it gets worse. Random Tech Girl informs me that I have lost all my recorded programs! And I had worked so hard on this. I lost all my Seinfelds, all my Law and Order, the Season Finale of CSI which I hadn't even watched yet, my favorite movie The Wedding Singer, all of it. I have to start over. I'm so bummed.

And so far this week, I have missed The Office, a ton of Law and Order, a ton of Seinfeld and if it isn't here tomorrow, I will miss the start of the Olympics.

This has been quite traumatic for me. I love getting Piper to sleep and watching TV until I fall asleep. So now I have been falling asleep really early every night, which I think just makes me more tired.

I am really happy Dish Network will replace the DVR for me at no cost, don't get me wrong, but seriously, I probably could have driven to Texas and picked it up faster than this.

It's been almost 3 full days, I am starting to feel like I might make it through, the withdrawals aren't as strong, at least not until I think about how many shows I am going to lose. There were things recorded on there that I have had since 2005 when I got Dish Network.

Anyway, just looking this over, I am wondering why I am thinking anyone reading this would even care, haha. So I am going to stop whining about this now and I guess just go to sleep.

Comments:
Sorry about the lost shows. I do like you having more time to blog though. I like the new look!!!
 
You crack me up! I have nothing to say that could possibly offer consolation in the face of such devastation. Be strong, my friend.
 
By the way, I LOVE the new look! Well done!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]