Sunday, April 6, 2008

Update on my NEW keyboard!

The other night, being bugged beyond belief by my stupid S key being not so good, I decide to just get it over with and call Dell. After all, I do have a warranty, I was just fairly sure that it did not cover accidents caused by 2 year olds.

I really hate talking to tech support persons who don't speak English very well. I feel stupid when I have to keep saying "what?" I despise it. But I am desperate. So at 1 in the morning I decide to bite the bullet and call.

When I get a hold of them, the automated lady (which is an entirely different problem I have) tells me that my estimated wait is 18 minutes. Dammit. But wait, the automated lady is telling me I can do this online with a live chat with a tech support member. I decide to try this, why not? I might as well do something while I am waiting for 18 minutes. I click on the "live chat" link and a new window opens up and MOHIT signs on to talk with me.

Mohit proceeds to do some sort of online magic, between his (her?)computer and mine to find out what computer I am using, and my account and warranty information. When that is established Mohit asks me to describe the problem.

I didn't want to necessarily LIE, but I started saying my S key and space bar were messed up and the F3 key is falling off. I don't exactly mention why they aren't working, but before I am even done explaining, Mohit says "Tracy in this case, we will send you a new keyboard."

The Hell? I didn't even have to try and decide whether or not to lie and say it came this way, he/she didn't even ask how it happened.

So I say okay, he/she asks for my address to verify, sends me a link with instructions on how to change it when it gets here, tells me 3-5 business days and asks me if there is anything else he/she can help me with. Wow! Seriously 5 minutes from start to finish with the live chat.

Dell called Saturday morning and the automated lady informed me the part had been shipped. I am expecting it to be here tomorrow, which means I am happy. A lot.

I highly reccommend the live chat in any situations where it is possible. I could tell a little that Mohit's first language was not English, but not EVEN as noticeable as it would be in a real conversation. It was super easy and super fast, with no language barrier AT ALL. I will definitely use this function from now on.

So YAY ME! YAY MOHIT! YAY DELL! But mostly, YAY ME!

Comments:
Yay you!! I am so glad it worked out so well. I thought it would be a much bigger hassle. You have to let me know how the changing of the keyboard goes. I would rather replace a kitchen fauct than mess with anything computerish.
 
Woo-hoo!!! This is great news! I've always heard that Dell has crappy customer service, it's nice to hear a good story. I'm glad they are sending you a new keyboard. I wouldn't want that new pink laptop to be unusable. ;)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]